After installing vmware-server and vmware-modules I was not able to get vmware to start properly. When trying to start the vmware service:
# /etc/init.d/vmware start
I would get this:
* Vmware Server is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
* for the running kernel.
* Please ensure that the modules have been compiled for this kernel:
* emerge –oneshot vmware-modules
* Also ensure Vmware Server has been configured:
* VMware is not properly configured! See above.
Reading through the Gentoo forums I tried removing the /etc/vmware/not_configured file and got:
* Starting VMware services: [ ok ]
* Virtual machine monitor [ !! ]
* Virtual ethernet [ !! ]
* Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 [ !! ]
* Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background) [ ok ]
* Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background) [ ok ]
* NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 [ !! ]
I then tried:
# emerge -1 vmware-modules
unfortunately that did not work
I looked at what modules were loaded and saw that the vmmon and the vmnet modules were not loaded.
# modprobe vmmod
# modprobe vmnet
Finally I added the following lines to the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6